Windows Update error code 0x80070103 has been reported by many users. Follow this troubleshooting guide to fix the problem if you’re having the same problem. Windows Update Error 0x80070103 displays the following message.
There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help – (0x80070103).
These issues usually happen because of driver incompatibilities. It can happen if Windows Update is trying to install an already installed driver. This can happen if you have an incompatible driver version, or if the driver is being used by another program while Windows is trying to update it. Any piece of hardware can be the culprit, like graphics, audio, etc. There are a few simple fixes that may resolve the issue and let you install the update. Try them out with our guide.
Why is Windows Update Error 0x80070103 happening?
This error happens when you try to update a driver that’s already installed with Windows update. You’re trying to install a driver update along with Windows update.
You can also get error 0x80070103 from other things on your PC. Here are a few:
- Incompatible driver update – If the driver update you’re trying to install isn’t compatible with your version of Windows, then you’ll get 0x80070103.
- Under-used drivers – Sometimes updating drivers can be difficult when they’re in use. Other programs may use the driver you want to install, so error 0x80070103 might happen.
- Corrupt system files – When there’s a problem with the update process, error 0x80070103 can appear. Here’s how to fix corrupt system files.
You might have a different cause of Windows update error 0x80070103. Still, you can fix it by troubleshooting.
Also read: How to Fix Minecraft Can’t Connect to Server Error
How to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070103
Listed below are all the solutions you can try to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070103.
Try Windows Update Troubleshooter
There are different built-in troubleshooting features in Windows that you can use to fix various problems. You can use Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix any Windows Update issue. Follow these steps to use this feature.
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings menu.
- On the left panel, tap the System option.
- Choose Troubleshoot now.
- Then click Other troubleshooters.
- Next to Windows Update, tap Run.
It’ll start troubleshooting Windows Update. Restart your system and try downloading the update once it’s done. Check if the problem’s fixed. Try the next one if it doesn’t work.
Also read: Detect and Fix ‘Dev Error 6034
Flush the SoftwareDistribution folder
The Windows Update files are temporarily stored in the SoftwareDistribution folder. The error code will appear if these files get corrupted by any chance. You’ll need to delete SoftwareDistribution to fix the problem. Follow these steps.
Start by stopping Windows Update Services. You’ll need to open Command Prompt in administrator mode and type these commands.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptsvc
Open File Explorer, navigate to C:/Windows, and find SoftwareDistribution.
Delete the folder.
Run Command Prompt as an administrator again.
Press enter after typing the commands below. Windows Update will start.
net start cryptsvc
That’s all. Now restart your system and see if the problem still exists. If yes, try the next one.
Also Read: Resolving Error 0x80070091 – The Directory Is Not Empty
System file integrity check
There could be a reason we didn’t mention above, such as missing or corrupted system files. Check if that’s the case by running SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) to detect and restore missing components. Don’t forget to use both utilities as they may have different impacts. Here’s how:
By using SFC
- Click the Start Menu and type cmd into the search box.
- Run Command Prompt as administrator by right-clicking.
- Open the console and type
- Restart your computer after the fix is done.
- As we did before, open the Command Prompt.
- Put this command in the command line:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth.
- Wait until Windows finishes scanning and fixing.
- Restart your PC and try opening the problematic program again.
- Try installing the update again after you’ve run both scans.
Also Read: Solving the 0x87e11838 Xbox Error
Install Optional Updates
Windows can sometimes generate driver updates separately from major updates. This solution could work since the 0x80070103 error is related to drivers. Follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Start Menu button at the bottom of your desktop and choose Settings. Instead, press the Windows Key + I.
- Click on Windows Update on the left.
- Go to Advanced Options and Optional update.
- Expand the Driver Update and install any updates you find.
You can move on to the next solution if this doesn’t work.
In conclusion, fixing the Windows update installation error 0x80070103 can be a challenging task, but it is certainly possible with the right knowledge and tools. By following the steps outlined in this blog post, you can resolve this issue and ensure that your Windows operating system is up to date and functioning optimally.
By staying informed and taking the necessary steps to fix any issues that arise, you can ensure that your computer runs smoothly and without any interruptions, enabling you to work and enjoy your digital experience with ease.